Friday, June 24, 2005

The World Today:

This is such a hot and vast topic....We all know that changes are happening with a higher frequency than it was, perhaps 1 or 2 decades ago. Just unbelievable!! But, I consider a major reason, is today's advancing technology. Thomas Friedman's recent book, "The World is Flat", is titled so appropriately! Again, the invention of the internet and it's availability in most parts of the world, has made the World a much smaller place than what we used to perceive it, in the pre-internet era.

You might say that the television has been around for such a long time.....yes, but, I wouldn't want to rely entirely on the news channels to understand the facts of what's going on around the world. So many channels are so biased and don't even cover some important topics and views....this, to me is another way of brainwashing the public. Every topic, opinion, news, interviewer, interviewee...they are all hand-picked. This I say by what I see on the American channels. Personally I have much more respect for European T.V channels, like BBC who try to cover major events in a balanced fashion. It is just unfortunate to me, that among so many cable channels, I do not have the option of BBC (Well there is a reason for this....the apartment owner, where I live, do not allow us to have a Dish installed, thereby, leaving me with no other option!)
The war in Iraq....first, very unfair war...cannot be justified....see no other reason than for "oil"...(hey, if it is not oil, then, how come this kind of attention is not being given to countries in Africa which need so much help? What about Cuba? How come US has left it alone? North Korea? ....) The world can use that money and resources that is being spent in Iraq in a much more constructive way....even a little child would be able to figure that out!! We the public have become so helpless (...or are we really??) Atleast speaking for myself...I am, and it sounds partly selfish and partly hypocritical . All I can seem to do is focus on charting a retirement plan for my own life and just grumble over the decisions that are made by the governments. Survival is also something that people need to worry about, right? Especially with the corporate corruptions that are emerging out in the open. Nothing seems to be a fair trial....there seems to be no Justice....this is so unfortunate and sad.


But, I do believe that this will change for the good. I am optimistic about this, but, just hope that it happens sooner than later. Hopefully, people focus more on much more relevant issues like the "Environment", "Peace", "Poverty", "Good Ethics", "Fair Trade", "Respect for All Religions", "Population", and the such. As for my husband and I, we plan to go "away from the Maddening crowd" , where life is more peaceful and meanigful and I know there are places where you can do this. After all, that's why we all work so hard, right! When I get really old, I want to reflect back on my life and say to myself that, yes, I made good use of my life, created good memories for myself and my family......not just of a computer, television and a set of 4 walls!! Get the picture! ; ) "Good Memories" are all that we can leave behind which will last forever!


Thank you for reading. Hopefully, my next topic will be on a lighter note. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home